Wednesday, December 29, 2010

29.12.10

morning run:
Bette
Gracie
Frijolita
Osita
Posey
Godzilla
Elewah
Molly
(8)

Molly was on the harness today for the first time, with mixed results. She managed to back out of the stupid thing on the trail to the shrimpery; it was too large and she got it turned inside-out easily, so I adjusted it while on the run and got it on her again at the end of the coco trail. We did the long and winding road the "right" way which, curiously, is actually counter-clockwise if viewed from above. It's clear but cold and windy today, and we left early while it was extra chilly. This group, like many recently, was built to fly and the cold just egged them on. When we got to the turning point on the road to Xixim I seriously considered heading all the way to Playa Maya, but I need to work today and we were keeping a fast pace; 10k is doable but 14k tires me out too much. I tried Molly on the leash three times during the course of 10k, the last one of which went on for ~500m, maybe a bit more (it felt like more). She was basically an anchor, but by the end of it she was at least moving her feet a little with me instead of digging her heels in... boy, is she heavy. In spite of not liking the leash, she doesn't pull a Tuesday and regard me suspiciously after I let her off; she'll come right up to me and give me a kiss if I call her, so at least she's easy to get on the hook if need be. We're going to have to work on this with her, but I don't count it as bad behavior on her part, it's just something she has to learn like everyone else; I keep reminding myself how impossibly bad Posey was on the leash at first. Besides our battles over the leash the run was fast, beautiful, chilly and uneventful. Apparently, nobody besides me is crazy enough to be out there that early when it's this cold.
GRADE: A

No comments:

Post a Comment

All dogs are welcome to post!