Wednesday, October 22, 2014

22.10.14

morning run:
Gracie
Posey
Chester
Elewah
Lily
Xmul
MoMo
Lex
Murci
(9)

Southern charcos and then some: ~9k. This was another high energy group and it went really well until the very end. Elewah and Lily (mother and daughter) were happy to run together and everyone else was right there with them. The monte is good and soaked now: the charcos are all swollen, and every road into the monte proper is impassable except on foot... just our kind of setup. We crossed west from the palapa road at the berm but it wasn't much of a berm anymore, just a narrow path with a mud border. The swimming hole was glorious and everyone had a blast horsing around in it. I had a feeling Elewah was still sensitive about the last time we went out together when I put her on the leash at the very end; I had no intention of doing that today as I have come to the conclusion that there's no point and that it was a mistake to try it. Elewah was her own dog long before she met us and despite the fact that she is now one of our pack she's still a retired Queen of the Monte. In retrospect I should've taken us home another way than last time but instead we took the exact same route past the "enchanted" charco across the alt. land bridge. It was there I noticed Elewah was really lagging: she was taking her time swimming in that charco and didn't want to come back to me. I tried to reassure her but she got a paranoid look remeniscent of Tuesday and took off back across the alt. land bridge heading east. I turned tail and everyone else turned with me as we all gave chase, but to no avail. Elewah ended up dragging us back through the intersection and around the horn to the tortuga crossroads. We were all hauling ass at that point but I decided before we got to the actual crossroads that I wasn't going to pursue her farther: if she wanted to run to the beach and come home on her own I was going to let her do it so long as nobody else followed her. This is exactly how it played out. I was proud of Lily for following me and not her mother as we all turned south on the road to the blue bag trail. I was of course worried about her when we got home and went down to the beach to look for her after everyone else was in... she was nowhere to be seen but by the time I got back into the yard she was at the gate on the road side so she must've ducked around somehow. I'll avoid the alt. land bridge with her next time and see if it helps. We all ended up running at least an extra kilometer but I still feel like it was my fault. In every other way it was a good run.
GRADE: B

No comments:

Post a Comment

All dogs are welcome to post!