Thursday, October 28, 2010

28.10.10

morning run:
Gracie
Bette
Posey
Godzilla
Blue
Truman
Reggie
Elewah
(8)

I threw Elewah in because this is her kind of crowd. The dogs were angels, but this run turned into an epic without my realizing it. My intention was to head North in the monte towards Playa Maya and turn around out there before the stone bridge somewhere. Instead, as we were getting close to the point where I wanted to turn around I noticed a road heading off to the West, although it obviously had not been traveled in quite some time; the weeds were over my head in spots. I mistakenly thought this was a road that connected with the North charcos. Instead, it is a road that winds down to doce, although it does sort of connect to the road I thought it was initially; I think I must've passed by the intersection and not noticed because it was overgrown or flooded. In any event, we ended up on doce about 1km north of where the hidden trail lets out (subject of our previous run); I didn't know how far North we were at the time. Earlier I had been bitten by ants, of the same variety that attacked Ernie over a year ago now; I was only bitten half a dozen times, but those ants punch way, way out of their weight-class. I mention this because I don't know if it was a factor, or if we had just left too late and gone too far, but it was while running down doce looking for the head for the trail that leads to the beach where I started to feel a bit sluggish. We took a false turn, and then finally found the trail to the beach, which we took. At this point I was feeling fairly crappy, but I wasn't sure if it was late enough that we would avoid unpleasant people on the beach or not, so I cut back into the monte at Au Soleil Couchant, adding 1km to the already much lengthier than expected journey (12km according to Google Maps). We ended up coming home by every possible short-cut in the monte, sometimes fording crossings that were over the dogs' heads for 50-100m at a stretch (they were so cute behind me). I had to walk part of the way, and drank the rest of the water myself to get home. The dogs had a great time, at least, but the total time was over 2 hours, which was kind of a bummer for Roni. That road is definitely a place for us to check out together... there is a lot of cool stuff out there to photograph.
GRADE: A

No comments:

Post a Comment

All dogs are welcome to post!