Friday, February 22, 2013

22.02.13

morning run:
Truman
Blue
Reggie
Archie
Rufus
Jack
Lex
Steve McQueen
(8)

Hidden trail: ~8k. I screwed up getting out of the gate; Roni said "DON'T open that gate" to me because she saw Reggie was in an awkward place but all I heard over the din was "OPEN THAT GATE" which is what I did - classic. She was right but it so happens it worked out okay; I really need to make sure my charges shut up for at least a couple seconds before we bolt. Truman was especially loud in the launch-pad and he needs to cut that out. The good news is that once we were on our way this group was absolutely stellar. I took a route designed to avoid people but it was to no avail - they are working all of the southern charcos near to us right now. As we came up to the main intersection a truck with perhaps 20 salt workers was just reaching it from the south. I still had Rufus on the hook and had everyone else stop and sit next to me, which they did perfectly; the truck rolled by us slowly, several of the workers hooting and whistling while they all stared in disbelief at the strange, bearded gringo with eight dogs. There was not a peep from my charges and they didn't so much as budge, despite the provocation. I was so proud I didn't know what to do with myself. I waited to see which way they went (east as it turned out) and took the other exit (north). We also ran into fishermen on the beach and again they were perfect. At three points during the run Steve McQueen had a little tribe.freak-out and started to bolt ahead of us. Each time Rufus, Jack and Reggie charged ahead, caught him, made him stop and waited for me to catch up. The first time I thought it was coincidence but then they did it two more times and it was clear they did it on purpose. Incredible. Apparently I now have assistants. Everyone came home off of the leash. Good job.
GRADE: A

morning walk #1:
Frankie
Stella
Daisy
Ziggy
(4)

M&Z took this crew out. Mo was slotted to go but bailed - it turns out she was scraped up, probably from a fall in the yard we didn't see. Otherwise they were good.

morning walk #2:
Bosha
Linda
Twiggy
Luna
(4)

M&Z took these out as it was really starting to get hot. All good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All dogs are welcome to post!