Saturday, January 11, 2014

11.01.14

morning beach jaunt:
Gowron
Rufus
Maggie
Linda
Zoot*
Amber
Tori
(7)

Up the beach to Au Soleil Couchant and back: ~4k. Roni managed to get Zoot into the front yard so I pounced on the opportunity on a run-Rufus-up-the-beach jaunt. Sadly, predictably, it was an abortive attempt: he didn't even make it to the soldiers and was back at the gate by the time we were past them. I knew this would probably happen so I didn't make any attempt to go back for him and carried on. Everyone was excellent the whole way up and back to the new construction to the north of the HoJo. For some reason Amber got The.Fear just north of it, tucked her tail and bolted south down the beach. I was a little upset with myself that I hadn't gotten her on the leash earlier because I had ample opportunity and knew she was always a pain coming home, but I figured she'd just go to the gate... no dice. Instead she decided inexplicably to charge up the beach towards the construction site. I had Tori and Rufus on either end of the leash by this point and was challenged to keep everyone together; I tried to get Amber to come back down to us but she embedded herself in the brush there, so I took everyone else home... I thought perhaps she might sneak around in the monte and beat us home but when we got back she wasn't there. Other than her shenanigans it was a really great run but not coming home with all your dogs is never good.
GRADE: F

search and rescue party:
Archie
(1)

Search pattern: ~3k. We waited a few minutes for Amber to appear and when she didn't I went out to look for her. She was almost certainly between us and the construction site but she might've darted east into the monte to avoid people and dogs. Since Archie was in the front yard and he's such a good boy I took him; we left with him on the leash but he came off quickly and was a real companion. We went north to the maginot line and then cut east to the road; the xmul on the trail there was unreal - obviously nobody has been there in a while. I had to stop to pull spines out of Archie twice before we got to doce. We went north on the road to the construction site and I called for Amber; I did hear some barking to the south of us a few minutes later so she might've bolted south when she heard bus but I'm guessing she was already gone. I searched the road for anything like her tracks and ended up noticing a break in the fence on the eastern side of the road; it turns out you can get into the charcos between the wooden shack and doce from the road there so Archie and I went on a little adventure. We forded the charco without disturbing the cluster of flamingos to our south and ended up on the road that leads from the little wooden shack to the dead goat intersection. Archie is a great adventure.dog and really had fun doing all of this. Amber ended up getting home at the beach side gate just as we were arriving back at the road side; she must've sneaked around the soldiers on the beach as we saw no sight of her on the usual route back home. She's smart and knows where she lives but it is aggravating to not know where all of our dogs are.
GRADE: A

No comments:

Post a Comment

All dogs are welcome to post!