Monday, November 3, 2014

03.11.14

morning run:
Gracie
Posey
Blue
Frijolita
Chester
Tuesday
Gowron
Elewah
Murci
(9)

Long and winding road: ~10k. This was an extremely fast group early on: all of these dogs are built for speed and even Chester, the old man of the group (at least 10 years old) was up for anything. The first two kilometers were among the fastest that we've run. We headed north on the coco trail to the parallel access road to start with; I was thinking maybe curling around and doing the southern charcos backwards but when we got to the turn everyone (Posey, Murci, Elewah) really wanted to keep going north. I had the camera on me and there happened to be a lot of flamingos in those charcos to the north so I figured what the hell and we kept heading that way. When we got to the far end of the northern charcos we just kept going. Surprisingly there were no flamingos in the large charcos way out on the interior road to Xixim; I expected some dramatic shots out there but it was just a lot of water, mud, bugs and us. No matter, we hauled ass down the long stretch south with plenty of slogging and swiming for everyone. I was extremely aware of Elewah and intended to take us home via the blue bag trail to avoid any memories of her being on the leash... sadly Frijolita scotched it all. At the main intersection on the way home some dogs could be heard barking at us from the south; we couldn't see them but both Elewah and Frijolita were obviously interested in what they had to say. I told Frijolita to stop it and come with me and she looked at me, turned her ears off and took off towards the barking dragging Elewah with her: incredibly bad. She skates by on a faux good-girl rep but she's actually pretty bad when there's anything bad to be done. If she hadn't taken off Elewah would've come with me and we would've been home a full 15min earlier. Instead I yelled for her and Elewah to come back; Frijolita did eventually but all the yelling and screwing around with other dogs got Elewah all worked up and I saw her dancing around in the distance, obviously not inclined to come with. I put Frijolita on the other end of the leash with Tuesday (after puting Posey's collar on her, since she had none); Tuesday was not happy about that and Frijolita dug her heels in and didn't want to run on the leash so it was a fun 200m until we managed to get across the alt. land bridge. I was resigned to Elewah coming home on her own but then Tuesday decided to slip her collar and the wheels officially fell off. I didn't even pretend to chase Tuesday, I just gathered everyone else who, except for Frijolita, were all angels: they listened, stayed with me and didn't screw around any more past that point. We got home and I put Frijolita into a crate for 30min to register my displeasure. She will not be going out without a collar and will not be off the leash within 1km of home for a while. Tuesday and Elewah showed up at the road-side gate more or less together 15min later. I would say no harm no foul but Frijolita should really know better: it wasn't just that she screwed me over, it was the willful and conscious way that she did it, knowing full well (like her siblings and everyone else) that she was not supposed to do that. The majority of this run was beautiful, fast, challenging and fun but the last kilometer was hellish and a pain in the ass. Ultimately it's all my fault.
GRADE: C (most of the dogs were good) / F (me for not coming home with all my dogs)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All dogs are welcome to post!