Tuesday, August 5, 2014

05.08.14

morning run:
Gracie
Frijolita
Gowron
Luna
Xmul
Lex
Steve McQueen
Hazel
Tori
(9)

No-man's land: ~9k. We left early enough that it was feasible to head out as far as no-man's land; by the time we got to the bend at the road to Xixim that marks its end the heat was starting to become noticeable and they had killed most of the water. Everyone would've liked a dip in the ocean but I was pretty sure 10k was too far for me today so I just kept pressing and took the parallel access road home instead. I started to bonk a little on the blue bag trail so the dogs lent me their wings for the last kilometer; even so I had to take a sip of water (I usually don't touch it) and I might've puked if there had been anything in my stomach. Writing this now I feel better than I've felt in a while... I think I needed to be wrung out a bit and pushed past my limits to shake off whatever has had a hold of me for the last week. Sometimes it's good to be forced to focus on something simple and immediate like dragging your sorry ass home when you've run too far in the wilderness. The dogs certainly didn't mind although they were glad to get home. Xmul was on the leash the whole way. I put Luna on the other end south of the wooden shack because she was consistently ahead and I wanted to pull us together. We ran into one salt worker early on (a person I recognized from town) and the dogs were all angels. Gracie and PupG are inspiring on runs like this but really everyone was happy and enthusiastic. No-man's land was beautiful and forbidding. There's been no rain so there were virtually no bugs.
GRADE: A

No comments:

Post a Comment

All dogs are welcome to post!