Thursday, September 17, 2015

17.09.15

morning run:
Truman
Otto
Rufus
Elewah
Mega
Steve McQueen
Lex
Murci
Cookie
(9)

Up the beach past Au Soleil Couchant: ~6k. Most of these dogs are used to longer runs but we really wanted to get Rufus out and Otto also should probably not go on the longest runs anymore. For these reasons I decided to run a middle disance on the beach from the tortuga sign northwards as I've been doing with other groups recently. Everyone was fine with this and did well the whole way. The only exception was Elewah, who knew from the beginning that I would try to scoop her up at the shrimpery coming home. As we were heading south on the coco trail she was already giving me that attitude she gives me when she wants to run all the way to the gate by herself, and I was countering by picking up the pace slowly behind her when out of nowhere a fairly large rabbit jumped out into the intersection, waggled its butt at Elewah (who was on point) and took off into the brush to the west. Elewah could simply not resist and shot off after it, despite my calls. Everyone else was perfect and stayed with me, which for most people would be considered a minor miracle (dogs not chasing rabbits? living with cats? mass hysteria!). I tried to get her to come back to me but after a minute or two it was obvious she had ditched me and would meet me at home. Around this time a salt work overseer I happen to know pulled up on their moto and stopped to make sure the dogs were friendly; I chatted with him for a minute and the remaining eight dogs were perfect the whole time. Finally, as we were nearing doce on the final trail home I saw Elewah already across the street on our road, looking sheepish and yet unapologetic, as if to say "where were you guys?"... she obviously did not catch her rabbit. We all arrived at the gate together.
GRADE: B (can't be an A)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All dogs are welcome to post!