Wednesday, May 29, 2013

29.05.13

Day 6 of our DSL outage
morning run:
Ginger
Gracie
Frijolita
Rufus
Elewah
Lily
Twiggy
Lex
(8)

Northern charcos: ~8k (shorter route home via the swimming hole). Everyone was perfect for most of the run. We left via the route we've been taking the last few times but since we came back via the swimming hole we ended up coming back over the alt. land bridge; sadly I had forgotten that the fellow with the little shack on the corner had left a couple of chickens there. When I saw him doing it I thought he must be planning on securing them somehow but it turns out he didn't and something got to them long before we arrived; my guess is that it was one of the foxes Roni and I have seen around here recently. There were two or three small strays hanging around because of the dead chickens and my charges gave them an extended greeting; Twiggy, Ginger, Frijolita, Lily, Elewah and Rufus all charged off into the monte to the south of the road there and there was a lot of barking and screwing around in the "magic" pond. Everyone got back to me within 30 seconds or so. I heard no sign of hostilities but there was an injury: when we got home I noticed that Twiggy's front right leg was wounded just below the knee. It had not been that way before we ran into those strays and dead chickens. Roni and I think she ran into some barbed wire in those woods; there are a lot of old fence-lines down or partially down and nearly invisible due to leaf litter and debris and the wound looks like one Otto had a while ago that was due to barbed wire. The wound isn't too bad; Roni fortdermed/bandaged it and she's had a meloxicom because it must hurt and we want her to leave her bandage alone. If I had put Rufus on the leash by that point the rest of them might not have charged off so hard... it is probably a good idea to avoid that corner for a while. Other than that it was a great run. It was mercifully cool and overcast and everyone was really up for it. We saw very few people and everyone was good about it when we did; I rode Elewah especially hard verbally to keep her on the straight and narrow around salt workers but at least that's all it took.
GRADE: A

No comments:

Post a Comment

All dogs are welcome to post!